Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sunshine Chicken

Last night I attempted to make my Grandma's Sunshine Chicken for the first time.  At first, I couldn't find the recipe so I had my sister Janine email it to me.  Later, while going through various cookbooks in the kitchen I discovered a copy of Grandma's handwritten recipe card for Sunshine Chicken tucked away in one of these obscure books.  I consider this discovery one of the tender mercies that Elder Bednar talks about. 

 I loved following her handwritten notes as I measured and mixed each ingredient.  I miss her.  It has been 6 months since she return home to her Heavenly Father.  Grandma lived a full life of 99 years. 

I put the chicken in the oven then left the house to take Savannah to a class.  20 minutes later, I walked into a house that seemed from another time.  For a brief moment I was taken back to the house in Carlsbad, smelling Grandma's cooking.  It brought such a feeling of comfort—just as Grandma's cooking always did.  The next 40 minutes as I smelled the dinner I couldn't help but turn my thoughts to Grandma and all the wonderful memories I had with her.  Then my family gathered around the table and I told my children that this was a dinner that my Grandma would cook for me when I would come to visit.  Just as we had begun to enjoy the meal I heard my laptop ringing--someone was calling my iChat.  And who could it be, but Grandpa!  We opened the chat and enjoyed a few moments with him--sharing that we were enjoying a dinner of Grandma's Sunshine Chicken.  It was a perfect complement to a perfect meal.  Who knew that Grandma's Sunshine Chicken would bring so much sunshine to my soul tonight?  I love you Grandmama!  Thank you.



3 comments:

Savannah said...

I liked the chicken the best!

Alison Woods said...

What a sweet post! It made me think of my grandmas and their traditions and miss them. It's wonderful to have those memories. Thanks for sharing.

Brazier art said...

How come I don't remember this? We lived ten miles away from Grandma and went over there practically every week and she never made me her special chicken. That old lady certainly had her favorites didn't she. Not that I blame her, if I had been her I probably would have liked you better too.